Tuesday, September 28, 2010

172 lbs!

So today after work I decided to try and add some weight to my bulb, by pouring between the two halves.  I had read on one of the other blogs where they sealed between the two halves with aluminum duct tape, and I figured I could do something like that...
Of course, I couldn't expect a couple of layers of aluminum foil to hold molten lead for long, so the next step was to pack some sand under the bulb. And yes, that's a piece of 2x6, cut to the length of the foil, to act as a spacer.  My foil should just about slide right in there, then I plan to through bolt it and epoxy it in place

Here it is with the sand packed under and around the front half of the bulb.  Sorry I didn't get pictures of the actual pour, not enough hands!

And voila!  A  one piece bulb with a notch out of the middle, weighing in at 172 pounds.  I figure if I have to I can add 5 or 10 pounds under and around the foil, but for now I think I might be coming in really close, as the rules say the entire keel has a max weight of 185 lbs, so I have to make sure my foil can't weigh more than 12 lbs including glass.  plus i still have to shape and fair this thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment