No pictures, but this weekend I still got a few things done. First, I tackled the job of re-packing the wheel bearings on the trailer with grease. During the process I found that I was missing the inner seals, and the bearings on the right side are bad. And I need tires! My $60 trailer is costing more every time I turn around!
One the boat side, I got some fairing done on the keel foil. Cold temps and rain are slowing me down, though. But there's always tomorrow!
Thursday, December 2, 2010
Last night I had a long talk with Ben Doolittle (Carbon Offset). Talking to him, then going back through his blog, got me back into the build mode. So this morning I woke up ready to go at it! I went outside, cut my foil blank to length, and realized that before I could even begin fairing I had some serious work to do! My foil looked more like an airplane wing than an assymetrical foil. Since I want to be able to go upwind on both tacks, I decided to fix it now. Today I had the help of my son Francisco,
If you listen to him, he'll tell you he did all the work, and the pictures prove it!
So now it's ready for fairing, and my boss just called and said I'll be working tomorrow and all next week. But I'll put the time in where I can, I've got the glass to wrap it now, and I'm eager to get started on the sleeve too.
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
So today after work I decided to try and add some weight to my bulb, by pouring between the two halves. I had read on one of the other blogs where they sealed between the two halves with aluminum duct tape, and I figured I could do something like that...
Saturday, September 18, 2010
Once again, lots of slag, steel clips, and alloy weights that wouldn't melt!
I hope I can get this done soon, I am so ready to start cuttiing wood!
Monday, September 13, 2010
Thursday, September 9, 2010
On the other side I used saw cuts to the depth of the wood I needed to remove. Both methods worked well, although I had a little trouble with the leading edge when I used the sawcuts. The final thickness is about 1 and 3/8 inches, a lot less than I was expecting. So just to make sure, I put the keel across the sawhorses and sat on it (210 lbs). Very little flex, and the piece you see in the pictures is 8 feet long! I wanted some exta so I can have cutoffs to play with when I cast the bulb.
Speaking of the bulb, I finished the bulb plug, and this weekend cut it in half.
I made the mistake of making my first plug too short, so I scrapped the mold and started over. I should have paid attention when everyone was talking about the extra piece the first time! But it's finally done again, and tomorrow I'll be setting the plug. I've been using mortar mix, it works well and has few voids, and it's cheap! Downside is you really have to fight the boyancy of the plug.
This is my bandsaw setup cutting the plug. Portable bandsaw clamped to a piece of wood!
And here they are, ready for tomorrow!
Saturday, September 4, 2010
Although to be honest it began a long time ago, when I first saw the i550 Tokyo Trash Baby on Sailing Anarchy, and said to myself, "I can do that!" I'll try to post as often as I have something to show. In the meantime, I have to learn how to use this blog stuff, so hopefully I can post something this weekend. Have a good one!